What is the mini capsule?
Most contraception tablets include the hormones estrogen and progestin, a human-made type of progesterone.
The mini capsule comprises solely progestin.
PULLOUT: Progestin-only tablets are generally referred to as POPs.
How does the mini capsule work?
Mini tablets intrude with ovulation and trick your physique into pondering it’s already pregnant — as a result of eggs aren’t normally launched throughout being pregnant.
But mini tablets don’t at all times cease ovulation, so in addition they have a backup plan:
They additionally make the uterus wall thinner. So in case your ovaries do launch an egg and sperm does get to the egg, the thinner uterus wall can’t help a being pregnant. Progestin additionally kills sperm so it might probably’t journey to the uterus.
The mini capsule has different advantages apart from contraception
- Helps scale back zits breakouts
- Makes your menstrual intervals extra common, lighter and fewer painful
Like all medicines, the mini capsule has some dangers or unintended effects.
In some folks, the mini capsule could cause:
- Bleeding between intervals
- Change in weight
- Increased hair development
- Sore breasts
You want a prescription to get the mini capsule. It will not be out there over-the-counter.
Your HCP may agree that the mini capsule is best for you when you:
- Have had blood clots or clots within the lungs
- Have a medical situation that might trigger blood clots
- Are frightened about or have had unintended effects from estrogen-progestin tablets
- Are breastfeeding
- Are over 35 and smoke
- Have hypertension
- Have migraine illness
People who shouldn’t take the mini capsule embrace those that:
- Have had breast most cancers or liver illness
- Have unexplained uterine bleeding
To assist the mini capsule be as efficient as attainable, listed here are some issues to recollect :
1. It takes a month to work. Use a further barrier methodology of contraception, like a condom.
2. You should take the mini capsule on the similar time daily for it to work. If you might be even 3 hours late, it is best to use backup barrier contraception till your subsequent interval.
3. If you miss a dose, you might want to use a backup methodology till your subsequent interval i
What does the mini capsule not do?
- Guarantee 100% safety towards being pregnant. About 10% of individuals utilizing mini tablets get pregnant.
- Protect you from sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- If you might be in a scenario the place you may contract an STI, like syphilis or HIV , you will need to use a barrier contraceptive methodology.
Inset: When selecting up your prescription, ask your pharmacist when it is best to begin taking the mini capsule (at what level throughout your cycle). Also converse along with your pharmacist about completely different medicines which may intrude with the capsule’s effectiveness. Some medicines, like sure antibiotics, can have an effect on how properly the capsule works.