Charles Dickens famously mused, ‘What greater gift than the love of a cat?’
We at American Humane absolutely agree. We based Adopt-A-Cat Month® 47 years in the past to encourage individuals to undertake cats from animal shelters, the place there’s the best want. We have a good time it every June – a month that additionally marks the peak of “kitten season,” when giant litters of kittens are born and infrequently find yourself in animal shelters.
All cats deserve loving houses and pet dad and mom who will assure they get the absolute best care. By bringing dwelling a brand new kitten and/or senior cat, you could be a hero AND discover your new, purrrfect greatest pal.
The standard annual marketing campaign is an element of a bigger effort by American Humane to assist these stunning animals and give attention to the distinctive challenges and points they face. Although cats have usually been known as America’s “Most Popular Pet,” with an estimated 94 million residing in 47 million U.S. households, they obtain much less veterinary care, have much less analysis devoted to their distinctive well being/behavioral points, usually tend to be feral, and usually tend to be euthanized in shelters than canines.
In addition to elevating consciousness of the significance of adopting a shelter cat presently, we can even be sharing Adopt-A-Cat Month® tips and content material on our web site and throughout our social media platforms all through the month to make sure potential pet households are ready for the joyful – and typically complicated – moments of adopting a cat.
TOP 10 CHECKLIST FOR ADOPTING A CAT
- If you’re desirous about adopting a cat, think about taking dwelling two. Cats require train, psychological stimulation and social interplay. Two cats can present this for one another.
- Find a cat whose persona meshes with yours. Just as we every have our personal persona, so do cats. In basic, cats with lengthy hair and spherical heads and our bodies are extra easygoing than lean cats with slender heads and quick hair, who’re usually extra energetic. Adoption counselors can provide recommendation that will help you match the person cat’s persona with your personal.
- Pick out a veterinarian forward of time and schedule a go to inside the first few days following the adoption. You’ll need to take any medical data you acquired from the adoption middle in your first go to. Due to their immaturity, kittens particularly ought to accompany you to make the appointment – even earlier than the examination itself – so workers can pet the cat and the animal may have a optimistic affiliation with the veterinarian’s workplace.
- Make positive everybody in the home is ready to have a cat earlier than your new pet comes dwelling. Visiting the shelter, rescue group or animal management facility ought to be a household affair. When adopting a brand new cat with present pets at dwelling, focus on with the adoption facility tips on how to make a correct introduction.
- Budget for the short- and long-term prices of a cat. Understand any pet is a duty and that there’s a value related to it. A cat adopted from a shelter is a discount; many amenities may have already offered spaying or neutering, preliminary vaccines, and a microchip for everlasting identification. Plus, shelters and rescue teams are there to supply steerage and help as you acclimate your new member of the family.
- Stock up on provides earlier than the cat arrives. Be ready so your new cat can begin feeling at dwelling immediately. Your cat will want a litter field, a good-quality cat litter, meals and water bowls, meals, scratching posts, secure and stimulating toys, a soft mattress, a brush for grooming, a toothbrush and nail clippers.
- Cat-proof your private home. A brand new cat will shortly train you to not depart issues mendacity out. Food left on the kitchen counter will serve to show your new pal to leap on counters for a doable lunch. Get rid of free gadgets your cat may chew on, watch to make sure the kitten isn’t chewing on electrical cords, and decide up random gadgets like paper clips (which kittens could swallow).
- Go slowly when introducing your cat to new family and friends. It can take a number of weeks for a cat to loosen up in a brand new setting. It’s an awesome concept to maintain the brand new addition secluded in a single room (with a litter field, meals and water, toys and the cat service unnoticed and open with bedding inside) till the cat is used to the brand new environment; that is notably necessary you probably have different pets. If you’ve adopted a kitten, socialization is essential. But keep in mind – take it sluggish.
- Be positive to incorporate your new pet in your loved ones’s emergency plan. You in all probability have a plan in place for getting your loved ones to security in case of an emergency. Adjust this plan to incorporate your pets. Add cellphone numbers to your veterinarian and closest 24-hour animal hospital to your “in-case-of-emergency” name checklist and you’ll want to have a several-day provide of your pet’s meals and medicines available.
- If you’re contemplating giving a cat as a present, be certain that the recipient is an energetic participant within the adoption course of. Though well-meaning, the shock kitty present doesn’t enable for a “get-to know-one-another” interval. Remember, adopting a cat isn’t like buying a family equipment or a bit of bijou – it is a actual residing, respiration, and emotional being.
What are you ready for? Ride the wave and undertake a superb feline – or two – this Adopt-A-Cat Month®!