Water is important for our on a regular basis life. From ingesting it and utilizing it to wash, water helps us keep wholesome and helps deal with illness. Hydrotherapy, also called aquatic remedy or water remedy, is the follow of utilizing water as remedy. There are some ways hydrotherapy can be utilized — and each cold and hot water provide completely different advantages.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit tutorial medical heart. Advertising on our web site helps assist our mission. We don’t endorse non-Cleveland Clinic services or products. Policy
Integrative drugs doctor Irina Todorov, MD, explains how hydrotherapy works and its advantages.
What is hydrotherapy?
Water has many properties that make it a great type of remedy. Hydrotherapy can deal with completely different ailments and sicknesses. It will also be used as a type of leisure and to assist your well being.
“Hydrotherapy is using water in different ways to affect the body,” says Dr. Todorov. “It could be through immersion in water — a soaking bath or steam bath.”
Part of the fantastic thing about hydrotherapy is that it may contain any type of water, like ice, liquid or steam. Plus, it may carry warmth and vitality and dissolve different substances like minerals and salts.
Types of hydrotherapy
Whether it’s utilizing a chilly compress on a sprained ankle or participating in a gaggle water aerobics class, there are numerous completely different types of hydrotherapy. Here are a couple of of the most typical:
- Aquatic train. Water aerobics, lap swimming and group train courses all fall below aquatic train.
- Aquatic bodily remedy. Performed by a licensed bodily therapist, such a remedy features a specialised program for every particular person.
- Warm water baths. Taking a heat water bathtub can enhance blood stream and it may additionally scale back ache and irritation.
- Sitz bathtub. A great choice for these coping with hemorrhoids, an anal fissure or therapeutic from an episiotomy, sitting in heat water for about quarter-hour can relieve ache.
- Saunas. In a small room with wooden interiors, water is usually poured onto heated stones or utilized in different methods to create steam. A recent study reveals that utilizing a sauna may also help calm down people, enhance psychological well being and sleep.
- Immersion therapies. A recent study reveals that chilly water immersion like an ice water bathtub and distinction water remedy (a collection of transient immersions in heat and chilly temperatures) can enhance the short-term feeling of leisure in athletes, which may after their efficiency and well-being.
The advantages of hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy can be utilized to deal with quite a lot of situations. Studies present that aquatic train is extra helpful and environment friendly than land workout routines for many who have weight problems. Using aquatic train may also help burn extra energy with much less fatigue.
“Obesity usually comes with joint pain,” says Dr. Todorov. “Aquatic exercises are a good option because there’s no gravity and individuals can do exercise much longer with less joint pain.”
Here are different situations and sicknesses that hydrotherapy may also help deal with:
Cold versus heat water
Should you utilize chilly water or heat water? You’ve most likely used one or the opposite to deal with accidents or illnesses.
“When you have an injury like a sprain, it is recommended to use a cold compress because it causes the arteries to constrict and can decrease pain,” says Dr. Todorov. “But if we want something to heal like chronic back pain, you want a warm immersion because it causes muscle relaxation and can improve healing.”
Cold water advantages embody:
- Decreases ache.
- Reduces irritation.
- Lessens soreness in muscle mass.
- Lowers physique temperature.
- Boosts your immune system.
Warm water advantages embody:
- Decreases ache.
- Promotes blood stream.
- Relaxes muscle mass.
- Flushes out toxins.
- Relieves constipation.
Is hydrotherapy best for you?
There’s numerous causes to check out a type of hydrotherapy. It can enhance your vary of movement, assist with despair and nervousness and even present some nice social advantages if you happen to’re collaborating in a gaggle or class.
If you don’t have entry to a pool or sauna, even simply taking a shower can have its perks, says Dr. Todorov.
“Sitting in a bath with some aromatherapy like chamomile or lavender for relaxation can be a great form of self-care,” she says.