Earthquakes strike immediately, with out warning and might happen at any time of the 12 months, each day and evening. They can occur anyplace — the place you reside, work, in school and even on trip. The American Red Cross recommends that everybody take part within the Great ShakeOut earthquake drill on October 20 and be a part of hundreds of thousands of individuals world wide to apply what to do throughout an earthquake.
EARTHQUAKE SAFETY During an earthquake, don’t attempt to transfer round. Drop, cover and hold on. Try to guard your head and torso. If you’re sitting at a desk or desk, get below it. Otherwise drop wherever you’re.
- If you’re in mattress, keep there, curl up and maintain on. Protect your head with a pillow.
- If you’re inside, keep indoors till the shaking stops and you’re positive it’s secure to exit. When it’s, use stairs fairly than the elevator in case there are aftershocks, energy outages or different harm.
- If you’re exterior, discover a clear spot (away from buildings, energy traces, timber and streetlights) and drop to the bottom. Stay there till the shaking stops.
- If you’re in a automobile, pull over to a transparent location and cease. Avoid bridges, overpasses and energy traces if potential. Stay inside along with your seatbelt mounted till the shaking stops. Then, drive rigorously, avoiding bridges and ramps which will have been broken.
- If you’re in a mountainous space or close to unstable slopes or cliffs, be alert for falling rocks and different particles. Landslides are sometimes triggered by earthquakes.
DOWNLOAD RED CROSS APPS Download the free Red Cross Emergency app for tips on what to do earlier than, throughout and after earthquakes and different disasters. Get skilled in first aid and CPR/AED skills and obtain the Red Cross First Aid app, so that you’ll know what to do if emergency assistance is delayed.