Our Favorite Rowers to Get You in Shape for the Summer
The AskMen editorial staff totally researches & opinions one of the best gear, companies and staples for all times. AskMen could receives a commission for those who click on a hyperlink on this article and purchase a services or products.
Product photographs from retailer websites.
When you consider intense, sweat-inducing machine exercises a couple of instantly come to thoughts: working on the treadmill, coaching on the elliptical, perhaps spinning on the train bike. But you are forgetting one – rowing.
RELATED: Why Rowing Is the Workout You Should Be Doing at Home
Rowing is an intense exercise and full-body scorcher. It’s not about simply gripping and ripping again on the deal with. When you row you interact your complete physique, utilizing 84 p.c of your muscle mass with every stroke, explains Lisa Niren, ACE, coach at City Row in New York City. “I look at each stroke on the machine as essentially a jump squat and a deadlift, because it mimics the action of both,” she says. “Plus, there is no other machine or piece of equipment in the gym that provides a more efficient or beneficial use of one’s time. Rowing is a one-stop-shop for fitness – strength, cardio, and endurance all rolled into one.”
So you gentle up most of your physique whereas rowing however which muscle teams are doing the work? About 60 p.c of the work comes out of your legs within the preliminary drive, Niren explains. This consists of the glutes, quads, and hamstrings. The relaxation is cut up between the core and the higher physique, pulling within the deal with to complete off the motion.
There are 4 distinct varieties of indoor rowers together with:
- Air-Based (also referred to as cylinder machines) rower
- Hydraulic rower
- Magnetic resistance rower
- Water rower
Niren famous that many contemplate a hydraulic rowing machine to be outdated now. While the motion mechanics aren’t any completely different than different machines, a sensible or linked rowing machine that includes a display and expertise integration may very well be thought-about its personal class of rowing machine as nicely.
Best Rowing Machines
Well Rounded Option
Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5
If you are in search of reliability, look no additional. With this commercial-grade, air-resistance Concept2 rower, you may monitor your rowing exercise on the backlit show (which additionally has the flexibility to wirelessly monitor your coronary heart price) and keep motivated by connecting this piece of health gear to quite a few appropriate health apps. Once you are achieved, merely raise up the facet reverse the flywheel and wheel it away for straightforward storage.
Promising assessment: “I have owned the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine for two years. It is the best piece of workout equipment I have ever owned. It is well built. Collapses for easy storage. Provides 10 levels of resistance guaranteed to provide a spirited workout regardless of age or physical condition. This is a best-in-class product … and well worth the investment.” – Doug Testing
Interactive Trainer-Led Workouts
NordicTrack RW900 Rower W / 1-Year iFit Membership
Fans of Peloton and Mirror will love the NordicTrack RW900 rower. This sensible rower comes full with a one-year membership to Nordic Track’s iFit program, which incorporates an intensive library of exercises and entry to reside studio courses and coach classes. The 26 ranges of resistance will be managed by your coach or you may choose guide air resistance. Meanwhile, the quick-adjust foot pedals permit you to create a customized match that is snug in your construct. In phrases of its operate inside your property, this piece of health gear is quiet when in use (you may sync up your Bluetooth headphones for those who do not need to disturb others with exercise directions) and will be folded up when your exercise is full.
Promising assessment: “It actually feels more sturdy than any rower I’ve used in a gym! It’s also extremely smooth and quiet while rowing. The large screen really makes the workout videos feel very immersive. It’s easy to imagine you’re actually rowing down a river in Africa! The nicest feature for me is how it folds into such a compact footprint… We also got a free year of the fitness program subscription which was around a $400 dollar value and it’s so good that we’ll definitely continue that after the year is up. If you are on the fence about getting a rower like we were then look no further… You won’t regret it! – Scott Moyer
Create Your Own Resistance
Stamina ATS Air Rower
Track your pace, distance, time, and energy burned on this air resistance rowing machine. The more durable you row, the extra resistance you’ll really feel. The padded seat and huge footplates make it excellent for various physique sorts, and it has built-in wheels and a folding body for straightforward storage within the house or house gymnasium.
Promising assessment: “First of all, easy to assemble. It is not as heavy as I thought it would be, yet extremely sturdy. Once assembled, it can be easily moved. The only noise it makes is the air flowing through the wheel when you pull the handles, and it’s not very loud. It is a perfect machine for an in-home workout, and I don’t see why anyone would need more of a workout than you can get from this rower.” – Page B.
WaterRower Rowing Machine
This rower makes use of a water tank as resistance to raised replicate the in-the-water rowing expertise. The monitor means that you can monitor your rowing machine exercise together with stroke price, pace distance, and time. This mannequin is simple on the eyes, too. Hand-crafted from ash wooden with a stained honey oak end, it will not cramp your type if it is omitted for all eyes to see.
Promising assessment: “If you want a great rower this is the one. We researched hundreds of reviews before we purchased this one. It was easy to put together. No missing parts. Good quality materials. The swishing sound and feel make you believe you’re rowing on your favorite lake. It’s easy to store to get it out of the way when not in use. Comes with a great video to help you learn good form. Total body workout. Glides like silk. Excellent purchase.” – Lisa Brooks
Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine
This price range rowing machine from Sunny has an extra-long slide rail, so that you modify it to accommodate a variety of heights. Featuring eight ranges of magnetic adjustable resistance, customers can cater the strain to their wants with a easy twist of the knob. The LCD console shows every part you should monitor your rowing machine exercise: time, depend, scan, and energy.
Promising assessment: “I always like the fan-powered ones at the gym, but price and noise kept me from getting one for home. This is well made and easy to assemble. It has very simple features, few bells, and whistles. That is my preference. But I can get a good workout while watching TV or listening to music for 1/4 the price. The action is very smooth, like pro equipment. I fold out of the way easily, too. I’m happy with my purchase.” – John L.
Titan Fitness Magnetic Resistance Rowing Machine
While you would possibly assume a rowing machine requires plenty of area, or perhaps a devoted house gymnasium, many fashions can really be folded up and tucked away when not in use. Case in level, this magnetic resistance choice from Titan Fitness. In addition to that includes eight completely different adjustable resistance settings, and a dynamic LCD display that tracks your progress, it could actually simply fold and get up if you’re completed, so your house would not appear like a house gymnasium.
Promising assessment: “This is a really good rower. Especially, for the price. The tension is just as good as the $1500.00 magnetic rower I use at the gym. The rower is very smooth and really sturdy.” – Jeremy D.
Outdoor Rowing Experience
Merax Water Rowing Machine
Not solely does this mannequin mimic the out of doors rowing expertise by its water-powered resistance, you even get the atmospheric splashing sounds of water as you row. The rower’s system consists of choices for rowing races and competitions, and you’ll view period, strokes, energy, distance, and coronary heart price on the display.
Promising assessment: “This is a great machine! The movement is smooth, and it’s heavy enough to feel really stable. I like the water aspect, although if you are sharing the rower with anyone you have to adjust the water level. It’s not as easy as turning a knob. I’m really happy with it though, and love the fact that you can easily move it and set it upright to store.” – Patricia M.
Other Workout Options
Fitness Reality 1,000 Plus Bluetooth Magnetic Rower
You don’t need to spend the equal of a mortgage fee to get a terrific rowing machine. This cheap, highly-rated rower has 14 ranges of magnetic stress resistance so your exercise can develop with you. You also can use the MyCloudFitness app to trace your exercise information ceaselessly in addition to a 30-day free trial of studio-based skilled coaching to get you heading in the right direction to succeed. On high of all of that, the unit is designed for extra workout routines together with curls, upright rows, bent rows, shrugs, and triceps presses, amongst others.
Promising assessment: “We purchased this rowing machine and I absolutely love it. I don’t hate exercising anymore. It works great, has different tensions, and is as quiet as you can expect it to be. The digital readout shows strokes, meters, calories burned, and time spent. Assembly was very quick and easy. I use it about five times a week, and I still enjoy it after several months of use. Highly recommended.” – L. Lazarus
Perfect to Hide Away
Schwinn Crewmaster 100660 Rowing Machine
Ideally, you need to buy a rower that has all of the bells and whistles you want in your exercise. However, some folks don’t have area to go away an enormous cardio machine in the course of the room. Luckily, Schwinn mixed one of the best of each worlds right here, creating a rower that not solely has a big LCD display that tracks your whole essential info and consists of 10 ranges of magnetic resistance, however options an easy-to-fold design so it may be hidden away when not in use.
Promising assessment: “Great machine for the price. Very sturdy, does not move when rowing. I have a few thousand rows on it now, using as cardio every other day between my regular workouts. Doesn’t have all the fancy gizmos of higher-priced ones , but I just want a timed workout while listening to music, and watching rowing videos. Tracks rows, time, distance, and speed which is great for me. No problems in three months, and already needing smaller waist pants. Little beer belly disappearing too.” – Clyde
HouseFit Water Rower
This water rower has a 330-pound weight restrict so even for those who’re an Olympic rower, you may work up a sweat. It’s solidly constructed and has six completely different ranges of water resistance so you may transfer from novice to knowledgeable at your personal tempo. But the largest profit would possibly simply be its clean, seamless functioning, care of the strong metal slide rail and magnetic resistance.
Promising assessment: “This water rower has been a fantastic substitute for cardio! It’s easy to use, feels like the rowers at OTF and all at a reasonable price! In addition, it is easy to move and stores up on its end, so it takes up very little garage space. We have had it set up for about 3 weeks, and I’ve rowed over 50,000 meters with no complaints! GREAT PURCHASE!!” –Sara
Heavy Duty Design
This advanced rower has variable resistance settings, permitting for infinite selection in exercises, adjustable foot straps for further gripping, an LCD display that permits you to monitor your progress, a foldable design, and most essential of all: heavy-duty building made out of metal and aluminum. Because you might need youngsters, roommates, or pets who aren’t too cautious along with your stuff and also you need this piece of train gear to final.
Promising assessment: “Really pleased with this purchase! Took me about 1.5 hours to assemble by myself-straightforward directions. Everything is labeled, and the tools are provided. This thing is silent, so it’s a good choice if you want to do workouts while watching TV. It is also quite sturdy. I’ve used both air rowers and water rowers, and this magnetic rower provides a similar workout. Overall I’m very impressed!” – Kells
RELATED: Best Cardio Machines for Your Home
How to Buy an Indoor Rowing Machine
If you’re contemplating getting a house rowing machine take into consideration the next questions earlier than making your buy:
1. Is noise an element? Are you dwelling in an house constructing the place the sound can have an effect on others? How a lot noise does your machine make?
2. What is the floor made from that the rower will relaxation on? Hardwood? Do you should be certain it gained’t slip round or scratch your flooring? Can you set a mat beneath it to scale back vibration?
3. Does it match? How tall are you? How large are your ft? Do you match on it comfortably?
4. How can the indoor rower be saved? How giant is the area the place you’ll be storing the rowing machine? Does the machine break down and retailer simply? How a lot room will it take up?
5. Is area a difficulty? How giant is the machine when arrange? Will it match with out situation? Do you could have area to row comfortably on it with correct kind?
6. How a lot are you trying to spend? How typically do you propose to make use of the indoor rower? Is it well worth the funding?
7. What kind of house rowing machine are you in search of? Does it simulate the sensation of precise rowing on water or does it really feel completely different? How clean are the strokes? Does the resistance really feel snug?
8. How a lot upkeep is required? Is there a guaranty on it? Will it’s important to set it up your self? And if that’s the case, is the set-up straightforward?)
Understanding the Rowing Machine Display
Each indoor rower provides different stats, but in general, this is the feedback provided on the display.
- Strokes per minute (aka “SPM” or Stroke Rate): This is your speedometer. The stroke rate is the number of strokes you can complete in one minute. A higher rowing stroke rate does not necessarily mean you are more powerful, have more intensity, or are at a better fitness level. But remember, rowing is about power not speed.
- Split time: Split time is a measure of the pace you are rowing per 500 meters. This measure is affected by speed and power. Generally, the split time is an indication of pace, or the amount of power you can expend per rowing stroke. The lower you drive the number, the more powerful your stroke and the quicker you will cover 500 meters. If you were on water, imagine that as your split time goes down, your boat goes faster. So if that number stays up, you are lagging behind. The key to decreasing your split time is to recruit as much power from your legs as possible.
- Watts: Some indoor rowers have a measure called watts, which is the amount of power you expend in a single stroke. The higher the wattage, the more power behind each stroke. More power behind each stroke means the lower your split time, typically. Although the measure of watts isn’t as important as split time and strokes per minute, it can be a good way to gauge split time and power.
- Total meters traveled: On all indoor rowers, you get a measure of total meters rowed while on the machine in that session.
- Meters: The measure of how far you have been rowing or how much farther you have to row.
- Total time: How long you have been on the machine.
- Time: How long you have been actively rowing. Or if you are rowing for time, how long you have left to row.
- Calories: This is not the number of calories your body is burning. The calories on a rower refer to the total energy calories expended on the machine, which can be thought of as the force you are exerting on the rower.
- Timer button: This button can be set in 30-second increments. You can track how many meters you can row in that given amount of time. Try to travel more meters or cover more distance in each interval while keeping your strokes per minute consistent.
- Distance button: Set distance goals by 50-meter increments in order to see how long it takes you to cover that distance. Try to complete the same distance in less time as you get better at these intervals.
RELATED: Best Cardio Exercises for Men
How to Row With Proper Form
- Catch: This is the starting position for your row and the position you will return to for each pull. Start with your arms fully extended. With your feet in the stirrups, bend your knees so that your shins are at a near-90-degree angle to the floor. Tilt your hips forward and grab the rower’s handles. Keep your back flat.
- Drive: Begin your first pull by pushing hard away from the rower with your legs, driving through your feet. Keeping a flat back and a tight core, continue pulling with your arms straight until your legs are straight. Then lean your torso back slightly and begin pulling with your arms.
- Finish: Maintaining that straight back and your legs straight, pull the handles into your sternum, just below your chest. Try not to flare your elbows but keep them tucked to your sides.
- Recovery: Reverse the movement. Release your arms back to a straight position and tilt your hips forward. When your arms are straight and have passed your knees, start to bend your knees and return to the catch position. Keep your back flat throughout.
Note: Rowers do put you close to the ground, so anyone with lower back issues may experience discomfort because of the flexion and extension angles you create with your body while you stroke. Not only that but prolonged rowing (we’re talking hours of training) does have the potential to result in low back pain because of bad posture, especially due to fatigue. Be aware and let your instructor or doctor know if you’re experiencing any issues.
You Might Also Dig:
AskMen may get paid if you click a link in this article and buy a product or service. To find out more, please read our complete