In a disaster, individuals with particular medical wants have additional considerations. This info will provide help to and your loved ones put together for a disaster.
- Always have no less than a two-week provide of all of your drugs. In some emergencies, equivalent to an influenza pandemic, you could want to organize for even longer.
- Store your drugs in a single location of their authentic containers.
- Have an inventory of all your drugs: title of treatment, dose, frequency, and the title of the prescribing physician.
- Have an additional two-week provide of any medical provides you utilize, equivalent to bandages, ostomy baggage or syringes.
Electrically powered medical tools
- For all medical tools requiring electrical energy — beds, respiratory tools or infusion pumps — test along with your medical provide firm and get info concerning a back-up energy supply equivalent to a battery or generator.
Oxygen and respiratory tools
- If you utilize oxygen, have an emergency provide (sufficient for no less than a two-week interval).
- Oxygen tanks ought to be securely braced so they don’t fall over. Call your medical provide firm concerning bracing directions.
- If you utilize respiratory tools, have a two-week provide or extra of tubing, options and drugs.
Intravenous (IV) and feeding tube tools
- Know in case your infusion pump has battery back-up, and the way lengthy it could final in an emergency.
- Ask your private home care supplier about guide infusion methods in case of an influence outage.
- Have written working directions connected to all tools.
- In the occasion that you must go away your private home, preserve a bag packed always that comprises:
- A medicine record.
- Medical provides for no less than two weeks.
- Copies of significant medical papers equivalent to insurance coverage playing cards and energy of legal professional.
People who can assist
- An necessary a part of being ready for a disaster is planning with household, buddies and neighbors. Know who can stroll to your private home to help you if no different technique of transportation is out there.
- Discuss your disaster plans with your private home well being care supplier.
- Ask your native fireplace division in the event that they preserve an inventory of individuals with particular medical wants; ask to be included in the event that they do preserve an inventory.
- Keep an inventory helpful of people that can assist and their telephone numbers.
Other languages. (All information are PDF.)
DOH Pub 821-006
Revised – March 2008
This doc was produced in cooperation with the
Emergency Management Division of the Washington State Military Department.