Clark County emergency managers are encouraging residents to make emergency preparedness a household precedence.
“It is always a great time to think about emergency preparedness,” mentioned Clark County Fire Department Deputy Chief Billy Samuels, who oversees the County’s Emergency Management Office. “Emergencies by definition are unpredictable but there are some key steps people can take to help themselves and their families be safe in the event of an emergency.”
Smart cellphone customers can obtain the Southern Nevada Community Preparedness App to obtain emergency alerts, security tips, climate notifications and different info from this hyperlink: http://readydl.com/landing/eoc32003/index.html. App customers can create a customized emergency preparedness plan and share their security standing with family members. Residents can also go to the Southern Nevada On the Alert web site at https://sonevada.onthealert.com/Terms/Index/?ReturnUrl=%2f to enroll to obtain free texts and e-mail alerts. The three key steps for emergency preparedness are:
1. Get a disaster provide equipment. The equipment ought to comprise objects for you and your loved ones’s fundamental wants for 3 days to 2 weeks, together with meals and water and distinctive wants corresponding to provides for infants, medically fragile members of the family and pets. You additionally ought to put together an emergency equipment in your automobile.
2. Make a plan. Family members will not be collectively when an emergency happens, so it is vital to plan upfront how you’ll join with each other. Choose a main and secondary assembly place in case an emergency impacts your house or neighborhood and designate an out-of-state contact for members of the family to name in case you might be separated. It could also be simpler to name out-of-state than inside an space affected by an emergency. Talk to your youngsters about what to do in an emergency if you’re separated.
3. Be knowledgeable. Understand the sorts of disasters most definitely to happen in your space and what to do to remain secure. The high hazards recognized in Southern Nevada are communicable illness, wildfire, flooding, earthquake and excessive warmth. Power outages can also happen. In an emergency, keep tuned to native TV or radio stations for directions and Clark County Television and social media websites together with Twitter and Facebook by way of @ClarkCountyNV and on NextDoor underneath “Clark County.”
Officials additionally advocate these sources to be taught extra about emergency preparedness:
- Remember the “See Something, Say Something” marketing campaign. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security developed the marketing campaign to thwart terrorism and different legal exercise by encouraging residents to report suspicious exercise to the correct state and native regulation enforcement businesses. As a part of the hassle, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and Southern Nevada Counter Terrorism Center have arrange a 24-hour hotline for the general public to report suspicious exercise at (702) 828-8386.
- Go to County’s web site at www.ClarkCountyNV.gov and go to the Office of Emergency Management and the Fire Department’s net pages for security tips and different info. Clark County TV additionally has created emergency preparedness PSAs on completely different matters which were shared extensively with native information media and on county social media websites. Topics embrace:
- “Property Brothers” earthquake security PSA with The Scott Brothers, Drew and Jonathan Scott: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbJhENzVCg
- “Emergency Preparedness Begins at Home:” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBN2VFzt1aE
- Report suspicious exercise to the native “See Something, Say Something” hotline at (702) 828-8386: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWmWg3Oitw
Clark County’s Emergency Management employees could also be accessible to speak to group teams. For requests, contact the Preparedness and Recovery Coordinator at (702) 455-5715. Additional emergency preparedness sources embrace:
Clark County is a dynamic and modern group devoted to offering top-quality service with integrity, respect and accountability. With jurisdiction over the world-famous Las Vegas Strip and masking an space the dimensions of New Jersey, Clark is the nation’s 11th-largest county and gives intensive regional companies to 2.3 million residents and 45.6 million guests a 12 months (2019). Included are the nation’s 9th-busiest airport, air high quality compliance, social companies and the state’s largest public hospital, University Medical Center. The County additionally gives municipal companies which might be historically offered by cities to 1 million residents within the unincorporated space. Those embrace fireplace safety, roads and different public works, parks and recreation, and planning and improvement.