Do you could have a Google Pixel smartphone? Whether you could have the most recent Pixel 6 Pro, a Pixel 6a, or an older Pixel cellphone, you’ll be able to set up and use the Personal Safety app from Google. The app helps you put together for an emergency, and if an emergency happens, the app can join you to assist and the data you want.
The Personal Safety app has options like automobile crash detection and site sharing along with your emergency contacts. You can even get disaster alerts about close by pure disasters or public emergencies.
We’ll stroll you thru how you can set up or activate the app in your Google Pixel gadget and how you can use it to reinforce your private security. Apple iPhone customers ought to comply with our information on how to set up emergency SOS calling and emergency contacts in iOS.
The Personal Safety app requires Android model 10 and up. The app might be put in routinely when you’ve got a Pixel 4 or later. Confusingly, the app is known as Personal Safety within the Google Play retailer however merely Safety within the listing of apps on Pixel telephones.
If you don’t see the app in your app drawer on a Google Pixel 3a or earlier, it is perhaps put in however hidden. To test, comply with these steps:
- Open Settings > About cellphone.
- Tap Emergency data.
- On the banner, faucet Update.
If you don’t have the Safety app put in, you’ll be able to nonetheless check in along with your Google account and add emergency contacts and medical data. Remember, anybody who picks up your cellphone can see your emergency data in your cellphone’s lock display. This will be very useful to first responders, so that they know who to contact if you’re incapacitated. You can flip this setting off within the Safety app.
Once the Safety app is put in, you’ll be able to benefit from much more options the app has to supply, though automobile crash detection is just obtainable on Pixel 3 and later.
If you haven’t used the Safety app earlier than, you’ll see a button labeled Start setup to information you thru the setup course of.
- First, you’ll be able to arrange emergency real-time location sharing. This is a comparatively new function. Select Next to set emergency contacts or No thanks to skip to the following part.
- Review the listing of emergency contacts and add a contact if you want.
- When emergency sharing is activated, your cellphone will ship SMS updates to your emergency contacts. Select what data might be shared. Real-time location sharing is required for emergency sharing.
- Next, faucet Go to Maps to arrange location sharing in Google Maps.
- Google Maps will immediate you to set location entry to Allow on a regular basis. Tap Go to settings to permit entry. When you’ve set the permissions, return to the Safety app and faucet Done.
- Next, activate automobile crash detection or strive a demo to see what’s going to occur in case your cellphone detects a automobile crash.
- If you need to be alerted about emergencies affecting your space, faucet Turn on or Learn extra underneath “Get alerts about nearby crises.”
Once you’ve gone by way of the steps above, the Safety app is prepared that can assist you within the occasion of an emergency.
The Safety app affords a number of methods to request assist or data throughout an emergency.
If you’re in an unfamiliar space or really feel you’re coming into a state of affairs the place your security is perhaps in danger, you’ll be able to schedule a Safety test. The app will test on you, and your cellphone will notify designated emergency contacts in the event you don’t reply to the check-in.
- Tap the yellow Safety test button.
- Next, choose your state of affairs from the Reason drop-down listing. Choose from: Walking alone, Going for a run, Taking transportation, Hiking, or Write my very own.
- Select the length of the security test.
- Tap Next and choose which emergency contacts needs to be notified in the event you don’t reply to the security test. If you want, you’ll be able to notify your emergency contacts that you just’re planning a security test. Tap Turn on whenever you’re completed.
When a Safety test is energetic, the Safety app’s dwelling display will show how lengthy you could have till it’s time to test in and who it’s going to notify in the event you fail to reply. When the app asks you to test in, you’ll have one minute to reply earlier than emergency sharing is activated. To delete the security test, faucet the notification at any time. Select from these choices:
- I’m OK. Don’t share.
- Start sharing now.
- Call 911.
If you select Start sharing now, future checks might be stopped. However, in the event you lose a sign or your cellphone is turned off, the test will keep energetic, and it’ll share your final identified location along with your emergency contacts.
To activate Emergency SOS, shortly press the Power button in your cellphone 5 occasions (or extra). The Emergency SOS function has three most important capabilities:
- Make an emergency name for service.
- Share data along with your emergency contacts.
- Record a video of the emergency.
Configure the Emergency SOS function within the Safety app by choosing the Settings/gear icon. Tap Emergency SOS > Start setup. Follow the wizard to decide on choices like whether or not to play a countdown alarm when Emergency SOS is beginning and to assessment the cellphone quantity the app will use to contact emergency companies.
When you document a video with Emergency SOS, the video might be routinely shared along with your emergency contacts when you’ve got auto-share enabled. Also, movies are routinely uploaded to the cloud in case your cellphone is misplaced or destroyed. Uploading and video administration require an web connection.
With a couple of minutes of preparation, Pixel customers can provide themselves just a few benefits in an emergency. So take the time now to arrange the Google Safety app.