The Supine Spinal Twist (Supta Matsyendrasana) is an entry-level supine twisted yoga pose that is normally carried out to heat up or calm down earlier than or after a session of yoga or train.
In Sanskrit, ‘Supta’ means ‘supine’, and ‘Matsya’ means fish. Matsya is an incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu as a fish, whereas Matsyendra means Lord of the Fish.
The physique is in contrast with a fish within the Supine Spinal Twist. This place promotes grounding because it soothes the physique and psyche. The main focus of the hip twist stays on stress-free the backbone.
The pose is also referred to as ‘Supta Merudandasana’ in some yoga faculties, because it promotes spinal well being; in Sanskrit, ‘merudanda’ means ‘backbone’.
Who Can Perform This Pose?
The Supine Spinal Twist is a warm-up pose that prepares the physique for more difficult backbends. It’s additionally a wonderful cool-down pose after intense exercises.
It’s wonderful for treating again ache and digestive problems. Apart from firming the stomach, it is a wonderful remedy for postpartum girls affected by decrease again discomfort.
It might be carried out by seniors, adolescents, kids and ladies. After a run, it is a terrific pose for athletes and runners to chill down. The Supine Spinal Twist can be utilized to strengthen the core and as a part of evening yoga to deal with sleeping problems and insomnia.
Supine Spinal Twist (Supta Matsyendrasana): Technique & Correct Form
Here’s how you must carry out the supine spinal twist:
- Lie down in your again in your yoga mat.
- Bend your knees, and place the bottoms of your ft on the ground, knees pointed towards the ceiling.
- Press onto your ft to carry your hips barely off the bottom, and shift them to the suitable by roughly an inch. It’s an important step, because it prepares your hips to stack atop each other while you start the twist.
- Exhale, and produce the suitable knee into the chest whereas extending the left leg flat on the ground. Mainta,in your left foot in a flexed place all through the pose. Inhale.
- Exhale and cross your proper knee over your midline to the left aspect of your physique on the ground. Your proper hip must be positioned over your left hip. If you wish to, it’s possible you’ll hook your proper foot behind your left knee.
- Keep your proper arm aligned together with your shoulders as you lengthen it to the suitable. Rest your left hand in your proper knee, or lengthen it to kind the letter ‘T’ together with your arms. Face your palms as much as the ceiling.
- Turn your head to the suitable, and take a look at your proper fingertips over your proper shoulder. If it is uncomfortable in your neck, you’ll be able to skip this step.
- Release your left knee and proper shoulder in the direction of the ground as you exhale.
- Maintain this place for 5 to 10 breaths. To exit the pose, inhale, and roll onto your again whereas bringing your proper knee to your chest.
- Before performing the train on the other aspect, launch each legs to the ground to neutralise the backbone for few breaths.
You could really feel that you just can not concurrently convey your proper knee to the ground and hold each shoulders flat on the bottom. Prioritise holding the shoulders lowered, and permit the knee to drift up a bit of, if wanted. If your proper knee is much from the bottom, it’s possible you’ll select to assist it with a blanket or block.
If having one leg straight and the opposite bent is simply too uncomfortable, you’ll be able to stack your legs by bending each knees.
During being pregnant, it could be extra comfy to position a pillow between the knees.
If you might have an damage to your knees, hips or again, you must keep away from the Supine Spinal Twist. It shouldn’t be painful to carry out this pose, however when you’ve got again or knee ache, launch the pose slowly.
Benefits of Supine Spinal Twist
The Supine Spinal Twist stretches, strengthens and elongates the arms, armpits, glutes and hip muscle tissues. It strengthens the knees, hamstrings, quadriceps and belly muscle tissues. The core is engaged and strengthened by the decrease again spinal stretch.
The twist on the hips and neck alignment stabilises the hips and loosens the again. Stretching the neck will increase cervical mobility.
This pose is greatest carried out on the finish of a yoga session, because it helps calm down your breath and reduces your coronary heart charge.
The Jathara Parivrtti place is so named, because it ignites the Jatharagni (metabolic fireplace) inside the physique and relaxes as a result of it relieves decrease again stiffness. The backbone is linked with the neural system, and the mind will get soothing tones.
This pose massages your digestive organs and calms the nervous system by firming the backbone successfully. The neck stretch and hip opening scale back muscle rigidity and enhance blood circulation in these areas.
The shut proximity of the legs stimulates the groins and tones the pubic muscle tissues. It tones the genitalia, improves the urogenital system and prevents urine incontinence.
You ought to preserve a gentle, deep respiratory all through the Supine Spinal Twist. Avoid holding your breath.
Don’t drive your knee to the bottom. If you can not comfortably attain the ground, lengthen your knee solely so long as it is comfy. You would possibly prepare pillows beneath your knees and ft.
Q. Have you performed this pose earlier than?
var fbPixelFired = false;
document.addEventListener(“scroll”, function() loadFBPixel() );
document.addEventListener(“mousemove”, function() loadFBPixel() );
fbPixelFired = true;