What are hormonal contraceptives?
A kind of contraception that makes use of hormones to stop being pregnant and assist handle durations and sure medical circumstances
Safe for most girls
99% efficient at stopping being pregnant
Birth management is for extra than simply for stopping being pregnant
Many girls use hormonal contraception to handle well being points , not simply to stop being pregnant:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Ovarian cysts
- Extreme interval ache
What forms of hormonal contraceptives are there?
- The tablet, a type of contraception you are taking by mouth
- Progestin injection, a shot as soon as each 12 weeks
- Progestin implantable rod, inserted below the pores and skin, can stay for as much as 3 years
- Estrogen and progestin pores and skin patches, utilized weekly for 3 weeks, adopted by every week off
- Estrogen and progestin vaginal ring, used for 3 weeks, adopted by every week off
- Intrauterine system (IUD) with progestin, inserted into the uterus the place it might keep for as much as 5 years
How do you have to take oral contraceptives?
Every day for 3 weeks, with every week off. Some girls can take the tablet with no break, if permitted by their healthcare supplier.
Take your tablet on the similar time daily as a result of they’ve a brief half-life!
Half-life = how lengthy a drug stays in your physique
What if you happen to’re late taking your tablet?
If you’re 3 hours or later taking mixture capsules (estrogen and progestin), it’s best to use a back-up methodology till your subsequent interval.
If you’re 3 hours or later taking progestin-only capsules (mini tablet) , you want back-up for no less than 2 days.
Know while you’ll have your interval or skip it!
Hormone capsules and vaginal rings might help regulate your interval so it’s not a shock each month. And they’ll make the bleeding much less extreme.
Hormonal IUDs and implants can cease durations altogether for some girls, and make them lighter for others.
Planning a giant getaway? You can delay your interval.
If your interval is scheduled to start out while you get there, communicate along with your physician about your contraceptive schedule and delaying your interval.
Breakthrough bleeding or recognizing can occur with hormonal contraceptives. It’s commonest with low-dose capsules and the implant. Stopping your interval will increase breakthrough bleeding threat.
Bleeding with hormonal IUDs often improves after the primary few months.
Hormonal contraceptives don’t shield you from sexually transmitted infections, like syphilis, HIV and chlamydia.
This useful resource was created with assist from Alora.