Don’t let that spiny pores and skin intimidate you. Pineapple is nice sufficient to rival most candies — and it packs far more well being advantages.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit educational medical heart. Advertising on our web site helps assist our mission. We don’t endorse non-Cleveland Clinic services or products. Policy
Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano, RD, talks about how this tasty tropical fruit boosts your well being and the right way to decide one which’s contemporary, flavorful and fabulous.
What makes pineapple so wholesome?
Pineapple’s spectacular nutrition profile makes it a wholesome dessert, facet dish or anytime nosh. A one-cup serving (165 grams) presents simply 75 energy and 0% of your really useful every day worth (DV) of ldl cholesterol, sodium and fats.
Here are some methods consuming pineapple might increase your well being.
Provides loads of vitamins
Pineapple is low in energy and excessive in nutritional vitamins and minerals. One cup of pineapple chunks will ship:
- Vitamin C: You’ll get one-third of your every day worth of vitamin C which aids in tissue development and restore. Vitamin C can also assist struggle most cancers, coronary heart illness and arthritis.
- Manganese: Pineapple has greater than 100% of your every day worth of this important hint factor. Manganese helps with bone formation, immune response and metabolism.
- Fiber: Nearly 10% of your every day fiber wants are in a single cup of pineapple. “Fiber is necessary for a healthy gut and can help you stave off hunger,” Zumpano says.
- B nutritional vitamins: Pineapple provides you a wholesome dose of a number of B nutritional vitamins, together with thiamin, niacin, B6 and folate. These vitamins assist your physique course of vitality from the meals you eat. They’re additionally essential to forming new purple blood cells, which carry oxygen to your organs and tissues.
- Various minerals: “Pineapple comprises a number of minerals your physique wants for correct perform, together with copper, potassium and magnesium.
Promotes tissue therapeutic
“Pineapple is the only food known to contain bromelain, an enzyme that helps your skin and tissues heal,” Zumpano says. “Bromelain appears to produce substances that combat in pain and swelling.”
Consuming bromelain from pineapple may also assist your pores and skin heal after surgical procedure or damage.
“Your body needs inflammation to help fight off illnesses,” Zumpano explains, “but too much inflammation in the body, especially over long periods, can lead to conditions like cancer.” The anti-inflammatory energy in bromelain may help struggle irritation and will suppress the expansion of sure tumors.
Of course, consuming pineapple isn’t a cancer-free assure. “But eating lots of colorful fruits and vegetables, including pineapple, is a good way to help prevent cancer and other health conditions,” Zumpano says.
Here’s one more reason to make pineapple your go-to dessert: Pineapple comprises a major quantity of fiber, which is related to higher digestion. It additionally comprises bromelain, which is believed to assist digestion, although there’s not sufficient scientific proof to say for sure.
Arthritis ache aid
The anti-inflammatory energy of pineapple’s bromelain may provide ache aid for individuals with osteoarthritis. “If you have achy joints from osteoarthritis, try adding pineapple into your diet,” Zumpano says, “but don’t stop taking your medications or change your dose without talking to your doctor.”
Weight loss booster
Most weight reduction specialists advocate a food regimen wealthy in fruit and veggies when you’re attempting to shed kilos. But pineapple may very well be your food regimen’s BFF (finest fruit good friend) as a result of its enzymes simply might help with fats burning.
“The studies on pineapple as a weight-loss aid are only animal-based, so we need more evidence of this claim,” Zumpano says. “But adding some of this healthy fruit to your diet certainly couldn’t hurt.”
When your muscle tissues work laborious, they produce irritation — resulting in that inevitable soreness that may sideline you for as much as three days. But popping pineapple into your post-workout smoothie would possibly enable you to get again to your coaching routine a bit of sooner.
“The anti-inflammatory power in pineapple could soothe muscles and may help them recover more quickly,” Zumpano says.
How to select a great pineapple
Like most fruits, a ripe pineapple is nice and juicy. But unripe fruit will ship bland, dry or bitter taste. Unlike avocadoes, peaches and bananas, pineapple doesn’t proceed to ripen after it’s picked, so leaving it out on the counter to ripen gained’t assist.
Choosing a great one doesn’t must be powerful. Here are just a few methods to decide on a juicy, candy pineapple.
What does a great pineapple appear like?
When trying to find just-right pineapple ripeness, search for:
- Golden coloration: A brilliant orange pineapple is overripe and previous its prime; a inexperienced one is unripe. Look for one which has a constant golden coloration.
- Large eyes: Those little knots on the pores and skin provide you with a clue about what’s inside. Look for bigger knots, which imply the fruit had time to ripen on the tree.
Other clues to a juicy pineapple
If you need the perfect pineapple of the bunch, it’s worthwhile to transfer previous appearances. Also verify:
- Aroma: Sniff the underside of a pineapple earlier than buying it. “A good one will have a fresh, sweet smell,” Zumpano says. Avoid ones that odor funky or vinegar-like or that haven’t any odor in any respect.
- Firmness: A tough pineapple in all probability isn’t ripe. It ought to have a bit of little bit of give whenever you squeeze it, however ensure that it’s not delicate or mushy.
- Leaves: The leaves ought to look contemporary and inexperienced, and plucking one ought to be simple.
- Weight: A pineapple ought to really feel heavy for its dimension. “That indicates that there’s plenty of juice inside,” Zumpano says.
How to retailer pineapple
Once you select that excellent pineapple, don’t wait too lengthy to take pleasure in it. Improper storage might spoil your fruit. Here’s the right way to preserve it scrumptious:
- On the counter: Most pineapple might be OK at room temperature in your counter for about two days. Keep it away from direct solar and sources of warmth.
- In the fridge: Put an entire, uncut pineapple within the fridge. It ought to final about 5 days.
- Once it’s lower: Store freshly lower pineapple in a few of its juice and place in an hermetic container. Refrigerate for as much as 5 days.
How to take pleasure in pineapple
Pineapple is a standalone snack as soon as it’s lower into ring-shaped slices or chunks. But if you wish to keep away from chopping it, many grocery shops supply pre-cut pineapple. Frozen and canned pineapple are good choices, too.
“Choose canned pineapple packed in its juice, not syrup,” Zumpano says. “Pineapple is sweet enough on its own, so skip the added sugar when you can.”
Easy pineapple recipes
Pineapple doesn’t must go it alone. This fruit suits nicely into a wide range of candy and savory meals, too. These recipes present some inspiration:
While a few of pineapple’s well being claims want additional research, there’s no denying it’s loaded with vitamins that may increase your well-being. Slice, chunk, grill or mix it — nevertheless you select to eat it, take pleasure in including this brilliant, tangy fruit to your food regimen.