In a quest to make our hair look flawless, we are inclined to experiment with them rather a lot. Teasing your hair to get huge quantity is one pattern that by no means goes out of favor. How usually do you backcomb your hair? This hair pattern dates again to the Eighties when it was a preferred go-to coiffure for each movie star. It is one coiffure that provides you instantaneous quantity and makes you look gorgeous. However, backcombing entails plenty of teasing, which isn’t such a good suggestion to your hair.
Healthshots reached out to guide dermatologist and dermato-surgeon Dr Rinky Kapoor at The Esthetic Clinics to grasp how backcombing damages your hair.
How does backcombing injury your hair?
If backcombing is your go-to repair for each time you might be brief on time to type your hair, cease now!
“Backcombing can damage your hair follicles and even cause hair loss. In this type of hair styling, the hair cuticle gets scaped, and the cuticle from the shaft. The more cuticles are lifted the more volume your hair will get, which can be harmful to your hair” explains Dr Kapoor.
She additionally shared different methods backcombing can injury your hair. Apart from damaging the hair follicles, backcombing may also:
- Backcombing could cause matted knots and hair breakage
- The hair by no means returns to the unique flat association, and finally, the hair cuticles change into free, and break up ends start to type.
- The primary integrity of hair will get broken, which doesn’t restore until new hair grows out.
- It could cause traction alopecia.
Dr Kapoor elaborates, “traction alopecia because of backcombing is a form of hair loss because of excessive pulling on the hair follicles. A forceful styling technique such as backcombing causes chronic traction, leading to weakened hair follicles. Keep in mind that the hair cycle change as we age, and therefore it takes more time to reverse or treat the damage.”
Tips to reduce injury attributable to backcombing
Here are some easy tips to minimize hair damage attributable to backcombing the hair:
- Use the right method, and don’t attempt to pull your hair. Here’s the precise method to do it to reduce injury:
- Start with clear and combed hair
- Divide the hair into small sections.
- Take a small part of hair and backcomb down gently utilizing a skinny comb. Make certain that your comb goes to the underside earlier than you are taking it out. Then begin from the highest once more.
- Don’t use an up-and-down movement, and be very light along with your hair.
When you need to convey your hair again to regular, Dr Kapoor means that you must use a gentle brush to comb again the hair. Do it in small sections. You may also strive a deep conditioning masks to appease the hair.
Alternates to backcombing
There are some safer options to backcombing that you would be able to strive equivalent to:
- Use crimpers to type your hair
- Use voluminizing and root lifting merchandise and stylers, however not too usually
- Use a thickening serum that provides fuller-looking hair. Make certain it doesn’t include any dangerous components
- Take a great protein and nutrient-rich food plan to spice up hair well being
Caution: Make certain you speak to your physician earlier than attempting new issues.