Debbie Fisher: Stay ready, in case an emergency strikes
Published 12:00 am Monday, October 10, 2022
With the devastation Hurricane Ian delivered to Florida, it is a good reminder that pure (or man-made) disasters can occur at any time.
Knowing what disasters and hazards can have an effect on your space, tips on how to get emergency alerts, and the place to go should you and your loved ones must evacuate ought to be a part of that plan.
There are many websites that supply tips and free assets to assist put together for pure or man-made disasters. FEMA’s Ready Program (prepared.gov) was launched in 2003 to assist educate and empower Americans to organize for and reply to emergencies, together with man-made or pure, and to extend the extent of fundamental preparedness throughout our nation. You can order free preparedness supplies from FEMA’s web site that may be shipped on to you without charge.
The National Safety Council, one other useful resource, is a non-profit security advocate that focuses on areas the place it might make the best affect: office, roadway and impairment. They cowl quite a lot of security matters together with emergency preparedness, and so they provide tips on tips on how to put together for earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and tornadoes, and tips on how to decrease hearth dangers.
Steps for planning forward embrace:
1. Create a household emergency plan with your loved ones, associates or family members and embrace data on tips on how to talk with relations and the place to satisfy in case you want to evacuate. A fillable plan could be discovered at prepared.gov/plan-form.
2. Consider particular wants in your family similar to ages, disabilities or entry and practical wants and medical wants together with prescriptions and medical tools.
3. Practice your plan with your loved ones/family members.
4. Download the FEMA app for assets, alerts and security tips.
5. Build a fundamental disaster provides equipment (prepared.gov/equipment) to make sure you have meals, water and different provides to final for a number of days.
6. Store all essential paperwork (beginning certificates, insurance coverage insurance policies, and so forth.) in a fire-proof protected or a security deposit field.
7. Know tips on how to shut off utilities.
When confronted with a pure or man-made emergency, attempt to keep knowledgeable by way of radio, TV or the web. If you haven’t already, please contemplate following Lawrence County Emergency Management Agency (https://www.facebook.com/lawrenceohioema) on Facebook. Our EMA director, Mike Boster, gives helpful data for our county throughout occasions of emergency.
Being ready may also help scale back concern, nervousness and losses that may in any other case occur throughout disasters or emergencies. For extra data, please name Cindy Quillen, emergency response coordinator, at Lawrence County Health Department at 740-532-3962.
Debbie Fisher is a nurse and public data specialist for the Lawrence County Health Department.