Debbie Fisher: Stay ready, in case an emergency strikes
Published 12:00 am Monday, October 10, 2022
With the devastation Hurricane Ian delivered to Florida, this can be a good reminder that pure (or man-made) disasters can occur at any time.
Knowing what disasters and hazards can have an effect on your space, methods to get emergency alerts, and the place to go in the event you and your loved ones must evacuate needs to be a part of that plan.
There are many websites that supply tips and free assets to assist put together for pure or man-made disasters. FEMA’s Ready Program (prepared.gov) was launched in 2003 to assist educate and empower Americans to arrange for and reply to emergencies, together with man-made or pure, and to extend the extent of fundamental preparedness throughout our nation. You can order free preparedness supplies from FEMA’s web site that may be shipped on to you without charge.
The National Safety Council, one other useful resource, is a non-profit security advocate that focuses on areas the place it could make the best impression: office, roadway and impairment. They cowl a variety of security subjects together with emergency preparedness, and so they supply tips on methods to put together for earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and tornadoes, and methods to decrease hearth dangers.
Steps for planning forward embrace:
1. Create a household emergency plan with your loved ones, mates or family members and embrace info on methods to talk with members of the family and the place to satisfy in case it is advisable to evacuate. A fillable plan may be discovered at prepared.gov/plan-form.
2. Consider particular wants in your family resembling ages, disabilities or entry and useful wants and medical wants together with prescriptions and medical gear.
3. Practice your plan with your loved ones/family members.
4. Download the FEMA app for assets, alerts and security tips.
5. Build a fundamental disaster provides package (prepared.gov/package) to make sure you have meals, water and different provides to final for a number of days.
6. Store all essential paperwork (start certificates, insurance coverage insurance policies, and many others.) in a fire-proof secure or a security deposit field.
7. Know methods to shut off utilities.
When confronted with a pure or man-made emergency, attempt to keep knowledgeable via radio, TV or the web. If you haven’t already, please take into account following Lawrence County Emergency Management Agency (https://www.facebook.com/lawrenceohioema) on Facebook. Our EMA director, Mike Boster, offers helpful info for our county throughout occasions of emergency.
Being ready might help scale back concern, nervousness and losses which may in any other case occur throughout disasters or emergencies. For extra info, please name Cindy Quillen, emergency response coordinator, at Lawrence County Health Department at 740-532-3962.
Debbie Fisher is a nurse and public info specialist for the Lawrence County Health Department.