I can not go greater than three months with out writing about yet one more new South Korean firm concerned in curing hair loss. The newest one is AttisLab, which comes lower than two months after I wrote about Kangstem Biotech.
AttisLab: 3D Organoid Culturing and Hair Growth
AttisLab (additionally known as Attis Lab) was based in South Korea in 2019, however is simply now changing into higher recognized (h/t “Theo”). The firm’s co-founder and CEO Dong Ha Bhang gave an interesting interview in December 2023 that’s price studying after translation. I spotlight the important thing factors additional under. Note that Mr. Bhang accomplished his Postsdoc on the University of Pennsylvania.
I used to be 50/50 about overlaying this startup firm earlier than they even started any scientific trials. However, after I noticed their complete team listing, I received extra curious. For one, their CEO, head researcher, a scientist and an advisor all undertook analysis on the Perelman School of Medicine at University of Pennsylvania. The residence of George Cotsarelis and maybe the premier hair and pores and skin associated analysis middle within the US.
Interestingly, CEO Dong Ha Bhang additionally runs Biattic, which is geared in direction of bettering animal (and perhaps human) well being and life. One of the paragraphs on their web site:
While the variety of members of the family is lowering, the curiosity in pets has elevated, the variety of pets in South Korea has reached 10 million.
Make certain to additionally take a look at my previous posts on 3D culturing and 3D spheroids.
Early Commercialization of Hair Loss and Wrinkle Treatments
AttisLab’s most important long-term objective is the therapy of most cancers and the illness of varied organs such because the kidney and liver. However, hair loss is extra prone to be handled within the close to time period per the CEO. Some highlights from the sooner talked about interview:
- Among the applied sciences owned by AttisLab, hair loss and pores and skin enchancment (wrinkle therapy) are areas that may be commercialized early.
- The firm plans to enter the Japanese medical market first through commercializing autologous stem cell therapies. This is because of Japan’s cell remedy sector being at a complicated stage of improvement. AttisLab will present therapies by a regenerative medication hospital in Tokyo.
- They are additionally within the strategy of coming into the United States hair loss therapy market as a result of its giant dimension.
- In its residence nation of South Korea, the regenerative medication authorized framework was solely enacted comparatively lately, AttisLab expects this technique to enhance quickly.
- In November 2023, Attis Lab attracted a $2.4 million funding from a US primarily based funding company.
- The hair loss therapy will use autologous grownup hair follicle stem cells, so it will likely be protected and ache free. Adult hair follicle stem cells can be cultured as 3D organoids and preserved by a cell storage system. These cells could be repeatedly replenished if further therapies are wanted.
Key quote from CEO Bhang:
“Compared to other companies researching stem cells, AttisLab’s autologous adult stem cell culture technology allows for mass culture that is approximately 1,000 to 100,000 times more efficient using 3D cell culture technology.”
On AttisLab’s web site, I additionally observed the next assertion:
We succeeded within the mass manufacturing of stem cells utilizing 3D organoid tradition know-how. Utilizing this feat, we’re at present within the strategy of growing personalised cell remedy utilizing varied kinds of stem cells.
As all the time, we are able to’t take any of this very significantly till scientific trials start. Unless they will proceed with out trials in Japan with regards to autologous procedures. Nevertheless, it’s all the time nice to see corporations which can be led and staffed by extremely skilled scientists.