Heat wave on monitor to be California’s hottest and longest for September
With unprecedented demand on the grid, elevated power conservation is required throughout all sectors this week
From 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the present day, Californians ought to preserve power to cut back the danger of outages
SACRAMENTO – With triple-digit temperatures forecasted via Friday, Governor Gavin Newsom in the present day prolonged emergency actions taken last week to convey extra power on-line and cut back demand on the grid throughout the record-setting warmth wave throughout the western U.S. The extended warmth wave is on monitor to be California’s hottest and longest for September and is projected to set a brand new document excessive for demand on the state’s power grid with a load forecast of 51,276 megawatts in the present day.
The state’s emergency response and efforts by massive power customers, power producers and California residents has helped to stop outages throughout this excessive warmth occasion, and even larger motion will probably be wanted within the days forward because the state faces peak temperatures. Californians’ motion to preserve power throughout the Flex Alert yesterday saved 1,000 megawatts of energy. We want an extra 2,000 megawatts of financial savings in the present day given larger forecasts, and everybody must play an element. Many state buildings will energy down lights and air con starting at 4:00 p.m. to save lots of power. The state has additionally taken different pressing actions to convey extra energy onto the grid, together with importing power from out-of-state, putting in emergency turbines and making a Strategic Reliability Reserve.
“Californians have stepped up in a big way during this record heat wave, but with the hottest temperatures here now, the risk of outages is real. We all have to double down on conserving energy to reduce the unprecedented strain on the grid,” mentioned Governor Newsom. “We need everyone – individuals, businesses, the state and energy producers – to do their part in the coming days and help California continue to meet this challenge.”
Today’s government order extends provisions of the Governor’s earlier emergency proclamation and executive order via this Friday to extend power manufacturing, cut back pressure on the grid and supply extra flexibility to state companies, power customers and utility operators.
The textual content of today’s executive order can be found here.
Governor Newsom in the present day additionally signed AB 2645 by Assemblymember Freddie Rodriguez (D-Pomona), which requires counties to make sure group resilience facilities can function community-wide belongings to mitigate public well being impacts throughout disasters, together with excessive warmth occasions, and combine these facilities into their native emergency plans.
The California Independent System Operator has known as a Flex Alert for in the present day, September 6, asking Californians to cut back their electrical energy consumption between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. to save lots of energy and cut back the danger of outages.
Extreme warmth endangers weak Californians, together with our aged and people with well being issues. State companies and departments have gathered assets and data to assist the general public keep protected, cool, and related throughout this warmth wave, extra info will be discovered here.
Tips for keep protected throughout excessive warmth:
- If you don’t have an air conditioner, go to a shopping center or public constructing for a number of hours. If you have to be outdoor, put on light-weight clothes and sunscreen, keep away from the most popular components of the day, and keep away from strenuous actions.
- Sweating removes wanted salt and minerals from the physique. Avoid drinks with caffeine (tea, espresso, and soda) and alcohol.
- Check on family and friends and have somebody do the identical for you. If you understand somebody who’s aged or has a well being situation, examine on them twice a day. Watch for indicators of warmth exhaustion or warmth stroke. Know the symptoms of heat-related illness and be prepared to assist.
- Find cooling facilities in your space by contacting your county or calling your native well being division, or discover one at Cooling Centers | California Governor’s Office of Emergency Management
- Employers who’ve questions or want help with office well being and security packages can name Cal/OSHA’s Consultation Services Branch at 800-963-9424. Complaints about office security and well being hazards will be filed confidentially with Cal/OSHA district workplace. Cal/OSHA’s Heat Illness Prevention program consists of enforcement of the warmth regulation in addition to multilingual outreach and coaching packages for California’s employers and staff. Cal/OSHA inspectors will probably be conducting unannounced inspections checking for compliance at worksites all through the state.