The Study Shows Americans Are Redefining Health within the Second Half of Life
WASHINGTON, June 3, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Older Americans aren’t solely the happiest grownup Americans as a complete, but in addition contemplate themselves more healthy and extra financially safe than these of their 40s and 50s, reveals a brand new examine printed in AARP Bulletin. The “Second Half of Life Study,” carried out with National Geographic, surveyed hundreds of adults age 18 to 90 to discover how Americans understand their present life, their expectations for the longer term and growing old normally as we emerge from the COVID pandemic. About two-thirds of adults over 80 mentioned that they had been residing their “best possible life” or near it, in contrast with simply 1 in 5 youthful adults.
The examine disproves many frequent misconceptions about growing old and means that better focus must be placed on adults of their 40s and 50s, who reported larger ranges of stress and fear and decrease ranges of life satisfaction and well being than older Americans. The Bulletin breaks down the info to disclose:
- How Americans are redefining what it means to be wholesome, and the way “healthy but with chronic conditions” is changing into the brand new norm
- Why youthful adults’ expectations of retirement are a lot completely different from the experiences of older respondents
- How private connections contribute to our high quality of life as folks become old
- And far more
Also within the June challenge:
- The Rewards of Continuing to Work in Retirement: Working in retirement may sound like a contradiction in phrases, however that is not essentially the case. Part-time, freelance, consulting, or volunteer work can add to your retirement satisfaction and spherical out your schedule. In this month’s challenge, be taught 8 good causes to maintain working after retirement, just one having to do with cash.
- Who’s Policing Your Money: If your own home will get burglarized, you already know precisely who to name. But if a cash supervisor, debt collector, insurer or scammer does you mistaken, who’s the police on the beat? This ultra-practical information exhibits you what native, state or federal “cops” are on the beat and must be those to name.
- Live Well for Less: Don’t Overpay for Your Cereal! Grocery supply companies have turn out to be the brand new norm since COVID struck, however at what monetary price? Columnist Lisa Lee Freeman reveals all the key costs and worth hikes you may be paying to get groceries dropped at your door and exhibits learn how to get dwelling supply in a method that is financially honest to all.
- Hear these phrases? Hang up!: Can you establish the indicators of a fraudulent telephone name? The Bulletin shares texts from seven precise phone-scam pitches gathered by AARP Fraud Watch Network Helpline and challenges you to seek out the phrase or phrase that reveals it is a fraud. Read this month’s “Fraud Watch” challenge to be taught the indicators of a rip-off name, when to have interaction, and when you need to dangle up.
- The Dangers of the Sugary Drink Trend: Designer sodas, contemporary pressed juices and smoothies, chocolaty frappes, bubble teas – we now have extra fancy store-bought drink choices than ever earlier than! But this isn’t essentially a wholesome development. Many of those common new drinks are shockingly excessive in sugar, which places you at better danger for a number of well being situations. In this month’s challenge, be taught in regards to the pitfalls of the sweet-drink development and 5 sensible methods to chop again.
AARP is the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan group devoted to empowering folks 50 and older to decide on how they stay as they age. With a nationwide presence and practically 38 million members, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what issues most to households: well being safety, monetary stability and private achievement. AARP additionally produces the nation’s largest circulation publications: AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin. To be taught extra, go to www.aarp.org, www.aarp.org/espanol or comply with @AARP, @AARPenEspanol and @AARPadvocates, @AliadosAdelante on social media.